Our commercial real estate group provides clients with both transactional and litigation legal counsel.
We understand the fine details of complex commercial real estate transactions including acquisitions and sales, real estate finance, leasing and sophisticated joint ventures, and guide our clients through the transaction process. We are skilled at deal negotiation and structuring, purchase and sale agreements, transaction and loan documentation, coordination and management of due diligence materials, and third-party selection and management.
We also provide litigation counsel in commercial real estate matters including complex commercial foreclosures and loan workouts on behalf of lenders and borrowers, claims for breaches of contract between purchasers and sellers, and disputes between commercial landlords and tenants.
In our representation of sponsors, lenders and investors, our attorneys have closed billions of dollars in transactions. Our roster of clients includes developers, private equity funds, family offices, institutional investors, public and private real estate investment companies, retailers, and hotel and hospitality companies. Our joint venture team focuses on structuring opportunities and the mitigation of risk for many of the country’s leading developers, investors and sponsors.
In addition, our commercial real estate attorneys are astute negotiators with significant experience negotiating leases for millions of square feet, regularly representing commercial real estate landlords and tenants in office, retail and industrial asset classes across the country.
Acquisitions and Sales
Your talent lies in seeing the big picture in commercial real estate. Ours lies in understanding the fine details that make your success possible.
Our Acquisitions and Sales team is nationally recognized for providing objective advice, knowledgeable insights and highly personalized service. We have decades of experience in helping clients understand the complexities of commercial real estate transactions for office buildings, shopping centers, industrial properties, hotels, multifamily properties and more. Our roster of relationships with national and regional clients includes:
• Private equity funds
• Institutional investors
• Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
• Public and private real estate investment companies
• Hotel and hospitality companies
We serve your needs in all critical transaction phases including:
• Deal negotiation and structuring, including letters of intent
• Purchase; sale; sale-leaseback; joint venture and management agreements
• Transaction and loan documentation
• Coordination and management of all due diligence materials
• Third-party selection and management
Real Estate Finance
We’re a national leader in helping protect commercial real estate lenders and borrowers during every step of the loan process.
Throughout the course of our respective careers, we’ve helped close billions in financing with the speed and absolute attention to detail required when everything is on the line. Through our work with a diverse array of national and regional lenders, banks, developers, investors and others, we bring extensive experience to provide you with a thorough understanding of the intricacies of:
• Portfolio and securitized loans
• Ground lease financings
• Sale-lease backs
• Mezzanine loans
• Mergers and acquisitions
• Lender representation of secured loans
• Purchase and sale of existing loans
• Restructuring of performing, sub-performing and non-performing loans
You never really know how, where or when your next commercial real estate leasing opportunity will materialize. Yet one firm has the vast experience to guide you through every last detail: A.Y. Strauss.
Our team has decades of experience in earning trust on both sides of the table, representing both landlords and tenants in prominent lease negotiations and transactions both in the New York/New Jersey market and across the U.S.:
• Retail—publicly-traded and privately-held regional malls; power centers; community shopping centers; neighborhood shopping centers; mixed-use projects
• Office—partial space in multi-tenant buildings; entire buildings; specialized tenant fit-outs; rent credits; landlord contributions; property management agreements
• Industrial ground—warehouse, manufacturing and flex spaces; environmental issue and hazardous materials storage risk management; transportation access
Every chain is only as strong as its weakest link. But what happens when there are no weak links?
That’s the mission of A.Y. Strauss and our commercial real estate Joint Venture team: to help the country’s leading developers, investors and sponsors combine their many strengths to capitalize on their shared opportunities and mitigate their shared risks. From preparing subscription agreements, joint venture and complex operating agreements to fairly protecting various interests of sponsors, limited partners, general partners and others, we provide wholly objective advice and insights that help parties successfully enter, profit from and efficiently exit commercial real estate joint ventures.