Evan M. Goldman
Evan M. Goldman is a partner at A.Y. Strauss and serves as chair of the Franchise and Hospitality practice group and co-chair of the Litigation practice group.
Evan is a leading expert on franchises, working closely with both franchisor and franchisee clients to draft, negotiate, and register disclosure documents, franchise agreements, and related key documentation. Evan represents franchisor and franchisee clients in dispute categories such as termination issues, breach of contract, trademark infringement disputes, fraud claims, employment matters, and enforcement of non-competition.
As co-chair of A.Y. Strauss’ Litigation group, Evan lends his expertise to business litigation matters, including partnership disputes, and construction, labor, and discrimination lawsuits.
Prior to joining A.Y. Strauss, Evan served as Chair of the Franchise Law practice group at Hill Wallack LLP, and served as law clerk to the Honorable Barry P. Sarkisian, J.S.C. (Ret.), of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Hudson County.
Representative Partner Matters
• Represent multiple national franchisors in all corporate affairs, franchise registrations and renewals, and negotiations with franchisees and third parties.
• Obtained temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction on behalf of national franchisor to prevent former franchisee from breaching non-compete. Subsequently obtained permanent injunction after an evidentiary hearing before the American Arbitration Association.
• Successfully defended appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, which affirmed lower court decision confirming an arbitration award.
• Responsible for several complex franchise matters across the country, one of which resulted in arbitration award confirmed by the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
• Defeated motions to dismiss and for summary judgment led by multi-national franchisor seeking relief against a group of franchisees.
• Obtained temporary restraining order against multi-national franchisor, preventing improper termination, on behalf of multi-unit franchisee.
• Franchise Deskbook: Selected State Laws, Commentary, and Annotations (Third Edition), Co-author, ABA Book Publishing, June 2019
• When the Franchise Agreement Ends, But the Relationship Continues, Co-presenter, American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Franchising, October 2018
• Proper Foundation: Building a Sustainable Franchise System, Presenter, International Franchise Expo (IFE), June 2018
• Navigating the Buying Process: What to Know Before You Invest, Presenter, International Franchise Expo (IFE), May 2018
• Get Smart: Ethical Boundaries vis-a-vis Case Investigations and Evidence Collection in the Digital World, Presenter, North American Consortium on Legal Education (NACLE), March 2018
• Registration Update: Knowing Your Exemptions, Author, BeTheBoss.com, February 2018
• Are Material Changes Subject to Renewal Franchise Agreements Subject to the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing?, Co-author, Franchise Law Journal Vol. No. 36/Issue No. 4, Spring 2017
• Leveling the Playing Field: Amending the New Jersey Franchise Practices Act to Better Protect Franchisees, Co-author, Mercer County Lawyer, October 2016
• Point/Counterpoint: Personal Guarantees, Co-author, The Franchise Lawyer, Summer 2016
• Franchise Law: Five Issues Facing Franchisors and Franchisees, Presenter, North American Consortium on Legal Education (NACLE), April 2016
• Franchise Law-Representing Franchisees from Courtship to Divorce, Presenter, North American Consortium on Legal Education (NACLE), March 2016
Brooklyn Law School, (J.D., 2011)
University of Michigan, (B.A., 2008)
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court, Nebraska
U.S. District Court, New Jersey
U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second, Third, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits
Related News & Events
- Evan M. Goldman and Brett M. Buterick closed a 10-unit development agreement with Illinois-based Tapville Social, a technology-forward food and beverage franchisor offering self-pour beverage kiosks, that brings ten Tapville kiosks to locations throughout Texas.
- Franchise Times Names A.Y. Strauss Franchise & Hospitality Practice Group Chair Evan M. Goldman a “Legal Eagle” for Fourth Time
- A.Y. Strauss Attorneys Brett Buterick, Kory Ann Ferro and Evan Goldman Named 2021 New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars