Maria A.G. Harper
Maria A.G. Harper is an associate at A.Y. Strauss in the Litigation practice group, who represents clients across various business sectors in state and federal courts. Her experience includes matters involving breach of contract claims, New Jersey Franchise Practices Act, dissolution of general partnerships, business torts, copyright infringement, and wage collection disputes. She also supports the Franchise Group’s clients with their compliance, pre-litigation, and litigation needs. Previously, Maria clerked for Judge Bonnie J. Mizdol, A.J.S.C., of the Bergen County Superior Court. Prior to clerking, she worked as a law clerk and paralegal for a prominent northern New Jersey law firm.
Maria receives high praise from her colleagues and clients alike, with one client stating, “In an area where ethics and the simple art of compassion are paramount [Maria] surpassed my expectations and renewed my faith in lawyers.”
Maria’s prior experience includes work through the Civil Litigation Clinic at the Seton Hall Law Center for Social Justice and for the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit of the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, Division of Criminal Justice.
- Co-drafted voluminous substantive briefs in matters pending before the Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit addressing breach of contract and breach of the New Jersey Franchise Practices Act issues, respectively.
- Drafted motion to dismiss Defendants’ counterclaim resulting in Defendants’ voluntary dismissal of its counterclaim prior to oral argument.
- Obtained favorable settlement for client thereby substantially reducing her exposure under a finance agreement as part of court-ordered mediation.
- Settled employment action filed with the New Jersey Department of Labor by pro se litigant.
- Reviewed corporate client’s website, mobile application, employment application, training rubric, and employee handbook for compliance with applicable state, federal, and international laws.
- Represented an individual in a contempt matter in New Jersey Superior Court and secured a favorable plea agreement on the client’s behalf.
Honors, Awards & Recognitions
- Semifinalist, National Bar Association Uvaldo Moot Court Competition, 2018
- Best Brief in Appellate Advocacy, written on behalf of a petitioner on an issue pertaining to Article III of the U.S. Constitution
- Bergen County Bar Association Scholarship
Professional & Civic Activities
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law Interscholastic Moot Court Board, coach
- Juvenile Justice Advocates, volunteer
Seton Hall University School of Law, (J.D., 2020)
Montclair State University, (B.A., magna cum laude, 2015)
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit