Richard J. Slavin
Richard J. Slavin is counsel in the firm’s Real Estate practice and is based in the New York office. Rich has a broad-based commercial real estate practice and has led purchase, sale, financing, and leasing transactions of commercial property throughout the United States.
Rich counsels a diverse set of clients, from REITs and financial services companies to retailers and family offices. He is also a trusted advisor to a dozen real estate entrepreneurs. Notably, Rich maintains strong connections to his native Philadelphia. He represents multiple Philadelphia-based clients on a variety of commercial real estate matters as well as New York clients investing in the Philadelphia market.
Prior to joining A.Y. Strauss in 2022, Rich practiced real estate with established firms in New York City and Philadelphia.
Purchases and Sales
- Represented family office in acquisition of 75 condominium units in Philadelphia
- Represented developer in sale-leaseback of an industrial warehouse with a Fortune 50-owned company
- Numerous transactions representing international retailer in acquisition of 20+ acres of land as part of its national growth strategy
Joint Ventures and Real Estate Equity Matters
- Represented family office in JV with private equity fund
- Represented real estate developer in exclusive partnership with private equity fund
- Represented multiple real estate developers in legal aspects of raising LP capital for new projects, including through the Qualified Opportunity Zone program
- Represented LOOK Cinemas in movie theater lease with an affiliate of the Durst Organization at 57th and 12th Avenues, one of the largest retail leases in Manhattan post-pandemic.
- Represented anchor tenant entertainment retailer for new leases in New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Florida, California, Virginia, Georgia, and Arizona
- Represented regional landlord in lease with anchor tenant supermarket
- Represented regional landlords with numerous national retailers, banks, and quick service restaurants
- Represented financial services company in negotiation of leases and related documents for its national office portfolio
- Numerous office and retail leases in Philadelphia and New York City
Real Estate Finance
- Represented real estate developer in construction loan for new townhome community on a one acre urban infill site
- Represented family office in $10M bridge loan financing, $20M bridge loan financing, and then subsequent refinancings
- Represented institutional owner in refinance of shopping centers
- Numerous acquisition, construction and finance loans for growing Millennial-owned real estate companies
Associations / Memberships / Affiliations
International Council of Shopping Centers
Lawyers on the Fast Track 2019
Super Lawyers Rising Star
University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 2012)
Executive Editor, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law
University of Pennsylvania (B.A., magna cum laude, 2009)