Robert L. Baker, Jr.
Robert L. Baker, Jr. is a partner at A.Y. Strauss with significant experience advising clients in sophisticated corporate and commercial real estate transactions including the purchase, sale, financing, leasing, and development of commercial property. Clients appreciate Rob’s deep focus and expertise in negotiating and drafting a wide variety of commercial leases, ranging from smaller retail leases to large scale office leases on behalf of both landlords and tenants.
As a trusted business and legal advisor, Rob represents small to middle-market businesses, mortgage investors and servicers, and private equity firms with diversified real estate and loan portfolio holdings. Clients value Rob’s pragmatic and business-first approach to negotiating deals and closing transactions.
Before joining A.Y. Strauss, Rob was a partner in the Princeton office of a mid-sized New Jersey-based firm.
Rob is a New Jersey Certified Foreclosure Mediator and has served as an instructor for numerous continuing education courses for attorneys and real estate professionals. He is the former Chair of the Real Estate Section of the Mercer County Bar Association. In addition, Rob has served as the Flotilla Staff Officer for the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, and as Public Affairs Officer for Flotilla 84-5NR.
Rob is admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York.
Representative Matters and Significant Transactions
- Represented a commercial property holding company in negotiating all leases for approximately 200,000 square feet of Class A office space in Princeton.
- Represented a rapidly growing medical practice in negotiating all leases in connection with its expansion efforts throughout New Jersey.
- Represented a textile manufacturing company in negotiating all commercial leases, ranging from its Texas-based distribution center to its New York City showroom location.
- Represented a private equity firm in all transactional matters relating to its New Jersey real estate portfolio, consisting of approximately 200 properties throughout New Jersey.
- Topics Affecting Borrowers in Commercial Loan Transactions, Mercer County Bar Association, 2019
- Commercial Leasing Update, Mercer County Bar Association, 2019
- Commercial Loan Closings, Mercer County Bar Association, 2019
- New Jersey Foreclosure Reform Updates, Mercer County Bar Association, 2019
- Real Estate Updates: From Cannabis, Tax Reform, and Blockchain Technology, Mercer County Bar Association, 2018
- Deciphering Title Insurance, Mercer County Bar Association, 2018
- Understanding TRID, New Jersey Association of Realtors, 2014
- Estate Implications on Real Estate Transactions, The Estate and Financial Planning Council of Southern New Jersey, 2013
Villanova University School of Law (J.D., 2003)
Fairfield University (B.A., 2000)