Robert L. Baker, Jr.
Robert L. Baker, Jr. is a partner at A.Y. Strauss with significant experience advising clients in sophisticated corporate and commercial real estate transactions including the purchase, sale, financing, leasing, and development of commercial property. Clients appreciate Rob’s deep focus and expertise in negotiating and drafting a wide variety of commercial leases, ranging from large-scale retail and office leases to single-tenant industrial facilities on behalf of both landlords and tenants.
As a trusted business and legal advisor, Rob represents small to middle-market businesses, mortgage investors and servicers, and private equity firms with diversified real estate and loan portfolio holdings. Clients value Rob’s pragmatic and business-first approach to negotiating deals and closing transactions.
Before joining A.Y. Strauss, Rob was a partner in the Princeton office of a mid-sized New Jersey-based firm.
Rob is a New Jersey Certified Foreclosure Mediator and has served as an instructor for numerous continuing education courses for attorneys and real estate professionals. He is the former Chair of the Real Estate Section of the Mercer County Bar Association. In addition, Rob has served as the Flotilla Staff Officer for the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, and as Public Affairs Officer for Flotilla 84-5NR.
Rob is admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York.
Representative Matters and Significant Transactions
- Represented a commercial property holding company in all lease-related matters concerning their national portfolio of approximately 7,000,000 square feet of industrial space.
- Served as leasing counsel for a national real estate investment firm, overseeing all lease-related matters in a region that includes nearly 300 industrial properties.
- Represented multiple real estate investment companies in sale/leaseback transactions involving the acquisition, and subsequent leaseback, of industrial facilities from numerous seller/operators.
- Provided outside leasing counsel to an international medical device company with approximately 800 leased locations across the United States.
- Acted as local NJ counsel to an international financial institution in the sale of a data center to a developer.
- Represented various commercial lenders in securing deeds in lieu of foreclosure in connection with non-performing loans, as well as subsequent property sales post-deed in lieu.
- Represented various companies in the sale of shopping centers, medical office buildings, and various commercial real estate assets.
- Provided local NJ counsel to a real estate investment company in the purchase of a single-tenant office building housing an international pharmaceutical company.
- Successfully represented a prominent licensee-operator of an international coffeehouse chain in lease amendment negotiations related to COVID-19 closure and reopening procedures, which included securing substantial rent abatements and long-term rental rate reductions.
- Topics Affecting Borrowers in Commercial Loan Transactions, Mercer County Bar Association, 2019
- Commercial Leasing Update, Mercer County Bar Association, 2019
- Commercial Loan Closings, Mercer County Bar Association, 2019
- New Jersey Foreclosure Reform Updates, Mercer County Bar Association, 2019
- Real Estate Updates: From Cannabis, Tax Reform, and Blockchain Technology, Mercer County Bar Association, 2018
- Deciphering Title Insurance, Mercer County Bar Association, 2018
- Understanding TRID, New Jersey Association of Realtors, 2014
- Estate Implications on Real Estate Transactions, The Estate and Financial Planning Council of Southern New Jersey, 2013
Villanova University School of Law (J.D., 2003)
Fairfield University (B.A., 2000)