Stephanie J. Blumstein
Stephanie J. Blumstein is a partner at A.Y. Strauss and Chair of the firm’s Franchise Group.
Stephanie concentrates her practice on franchises and provides counsel to prospective franchisees, veteran franchise operators, and franchisors on a wide range of issues both in and out of court. Her franchise litigation experience includes matters involving breach of contract, unfair and deceptive trade practices, termination issues, trademark and trade name infringement, fraud claims, and enforcement of non-competition agreements. She has guided many new franchise owners through the franchise purchase process, including the review of franchise disclosure documents, the negotiation of franchise agreements and area development agreements, lease negotiations, and sales and transfers. Stephanie also works with many existing franchise owners to address issues that arise during the franchise relationship.
Stephanie has extensive experience representing clients in franchise and business litigation matters before state and federal trial and appellate courts across the country, as well as in mediations and before arbitration tribunals (including the American Arbitration Association and JAMS). Clients rely on Stephanie for effective, timely legal solutions in an ever-changing business landscape.
Stephanie has been consistently recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® and Franchise Times Magazine as a leader in franchise law. She is a frequent speaker on issues facing U.S.-based franchisees, and she is an active contributor to franchise-focused publications on matters involving franchise ownership and franchise litigation. She is also an active member of several state and national franchise law groups.
In addition to her work in the franchise industry, Stephanie advises clients in multiple other business sectors, including manufacturing and interior design. She also counsels clients in a wide variety of corporate matters including drafting and negotiating various commercial contracts.
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Franchise Law, 2023 – Present
- Franchise Times Magazine, “Legal Eagles,” 2020 – Present
Recent Speaking Engagements and Presentations
- “The Litigation Before the Litigation,” Co-Presenter/Co-Author, American Bar Association, 46th Annual Forum on Franchising, Dallas, TX (November 2023)
- “Frequently Arising Issues in Arbitration,” Co-Presenter/Co-Author, International Franchise Association, 55th Annual Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C. (May 2023)
- “Eureka or Gotcha Moment? Reliance, Materiality, and Loss Causation: Analysis of Key Elements of Franchisee Claims for Franchise Disclosure,” Co-Presenter/Co-Author, American Bar Association, 44th Annual Forum on Franchising, Atlanta, GA (October 2021)
- “Franchise Litigation Basics,” Co-Presenter/Co-Author, International Franchise Association, 53rd Annual Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C. (May 2021)
- “Do Not Count It Out; the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing Is Alive and Well,” Author, The Franchise Lawyer, Vol. 23, No. 2 (Spring 2020)
- “A Franchisee’s Guide to Reading and Using the FDD,” Co-Presenter, Franchise Expo West, Long Beach, CA (December 2019)
- “Franchise Litigation Basics,” Co-Presenter/Co-Author, International Franchise Association, 50th Annual Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C. (May 2017)
In The Media
- Quoted, “Vessel Pitches Multifamily Housing As Franchise Opportunity,” Law360, May 3, 2023
- American Bar Association – Forum on Franchising
- Solo and Small Firm Committee (2022-2025 term appointment)
- Program Committee (2020-2022 term appointment)
- New York State Bar Association
- Franchise, Distribution and Licensing Law Committee
- Business Law Section
- Women in Law Section
- International Franchise Association (“IFA”)
- IFA Women’s Franchise Network – New York/New Jersey Chapter
Boston University Law School (J.D., 2003)
Tufts University (B.A., 2000)
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York